Friday, July 25, 2008

Pretty Purees

Time to make more baby food. Our stocks are getting low. I learned a few things this time that I'll share.


1. One pack of organic blueberries creates about One 3oz portion of baby food.




Yep. One. So blueberries aren't going to be one of the cheaper fruits to make, but consider this. Blueberries are really good for you child, and you can rarely find a manufactured baby food puree that is simply blueberries. It's always mixed with something and I'm guessing there's very little blueberry actually in those mixes. Since I thought they'd make more, I ended up mixing my blueberries with plums. They turned out a beautiful vibrant purple.










2. I found some beautiful sweet cherries at the store, but they're a pain to pit. However, It doesn't really matter how they look so I just squished them. That made removing the pits pretty darn easy. Cherry juice, along with plum juice seems to be fairly tricky to remove from all of the surfaces I slopped it on though. Thank goodness for my buddy, the magic eraser.



I'd say if you can buy pre-pitted frozen cherries, that might be a better bet. Although then you might miss out on the awesome cherry pie smell in your kitchen. Yum!



3. Zucchini and yellow squash puree really nicely and don't require any extra liquids or cereal to thicken. It turns out a pretty bright yellow and smells pretty appetizing.






4. I received some 1/2 cup Gladware containers from a market research company to sample. I just have to tell them what I think of them. Nice! I do like these little containers for babyfood as well. They hold up well in the freezer and the lids snap on well. The only problem is that they do not stack so they tend to rocket out of the freezer randomly when you're looking for something else. Watch the toes!





Some people have asked me where I bought my other babyfood containers. Here's the info.

They're called Babycubes and I get them on OneStepAhead.com or Amazon.com. Once I found them at Marshalls but otherwise I haven't found them at a brick and mortar store. I like having the lid attached. I like that they stack well. I also like that you can pop them in the dishwasher or the microwave and the're BPA free. The only problem I've encountered is that if you fill them too full they will pop open and if you drop them when frozen they will crack. That's common sense though and would happen with almost any plastic container.




























No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what's on your mind. We'll allow anonymous comments as long as people use it appropriately.

Comment Policy:



Blog Archive